Questions need answers. . .



June 12, 2008

Today, I was dismayed by a program at the Arscht Center for the Performing Arts entitled Jazz Roots, a Larry Rosen Series, which had one woman, Patti Austin, on the bill. Known as a pop singer for decades, Patti never was billed as a jazz singer, until recently.

My question is where are the true jazz/blues singers and instrumentalists and why are they always omitted from the program?

Also, why are black women not represented on Rosen's committee?

In addition to sending a message to the Chief of Staff and Program Director of the Arscht Center, I copied the message to Blanche Williams of the First Annual National Black Women's Town Hall Meeting, requesting that this subject be broached at the meeting on July 11, in Washington, D.C.


www.wijsf.org


May 28, 2008


Q: What was it like recording Joni Mitchell's songs?

A: Before, I almost never paid attention to lyrics. I’m so bad that when I hear a song that’s sung, English is gibberish. I don’t hear it. I mean, I would have to translate it from whatever the thing is that I hear to intelligible English. Because I hear it as a sound.

Diva JC: What does this say about all the women who sang jazz before Hancock was born and migrated to the Miles Davis camp?

Your answers and comments are welcome.
http://www.wijsf.org/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting stuff